Create a Self-Check Assignment Folder
The Self Check folder is intended for students to submit a several draft versions of their assignments before the due date on a specific assignment. This way students can make changes to their work before submitting the final paper to the assignment folder. The draft submissions are not stored and will not be added to the Turnitin database.
- Assessments > Assignments
- New Assignment
- Name the Folder, we strongly recommend the title ‘Self-Check’ as this is consistent with all our messaging and documentation.
- Under Submission and Completion tab choose Unlimited Submissions and that All Submissions are Kept
- Click the Availablity Dates and Conditions tab, add a start/end date. We recommend the start date be the first day of the class, the end date will be the last day of the class.
- To enable Turnitin Originality Checking, click Manage Turnitin under Evaluation and Feedback.:
- Enable GradeMark for this folder
- Enable Originality Check for this folder
- Allow learners to see Turnitin similarity scores in their submission folder
- Then click More Options Turnitin
- Under Submission Settings, Submit Papers to: Choose Do not Store the Submitted Papers from the Dropdown.
- Under Similarity Report, Generate Similarity Reports for student submission: Generate report immediately (students can resubmit before due date): after 3 submissions, reports generate after 24 hours from the dropdown.
- Click Submit
- Note: Do not click Save these Settings for Future Use, it will not work correctly for this purpose. You will need to follow these instructions for each self-check folder you want to add to SLATE.
- You will be taken back to the assignment folder, click Save and Close
Note: You only need to follow these instructions for self-check or draft assignments that students will be submitting to SLATE. This is a learning opportunity for the student to update their paper before the final submission. These instructions will not apply when you are creating a graded assignment folder.