Prior to creating groups you must create a group category. Categories are used to organize and manage groups. You can have one category for the entire semester, or you can have different categories for different group activities. For example, you can have a category for Assignment One and another for Assignment Two.
To create a new category select New Category from the Manage Groups page.
- Provide a name for the group category in the Category Name field.
- If required, provide a description of the group category.
Select the Enrollment type:
If you want to select what groups students are enrolled in:
# of Groups – No Auto Enrolments
- A specified number of groups are created, which you can add any number of users to through the Enrol Users page.
Groups of #
- Use this option to specify a certain number of users per group. The minimum number of groups is set up to accommodate the number of users. More groups are automatically created when they are needed to accommodate users.
# of Groups
- A specified number of groups are created.
If you want students to select what group they are in:
Groups of # – Self Enrollment
- The minimum number of groups is set up to accommodate the number of users. Students select the group they want to enrol in. Once the group is at capacity, students can no longer enrol in that group. More groups are automatically created when they are needed to accommodate users.
# of Groups – Self Enrollment
- A specified number of groups is created. Students select the group they want to enrol in.
# of Groups, Capacity of # – Self Enrollment (Replaced # of Groups of # – Self Enrolment)
- A specified number of groups with a specified amount of students is created. Students select the group they want to enrol in.
Under Restrict Enrollments To, select the relevant group or section. The Group Prefix field auto-fills based on the selected group or section, but you can edit it before saving.
Note: Sub-groups can only be added once, users cannot create sub-groups of sub-groups.
Instructors can create a self-enrollment link through the Content tool.
- In the text editor, click Insert Quicklink.
- In the pop-up window, select Self-Enrollment Groups.
- Select a group in the Self-Enrollment Groups window, and click Select.
Single User, Member-Specific Groups
- Using this group category creates a group with a single user where the first name and last name of the students is the name of the group. This can be used for journaling or private teacher/student communications.
If you chose Groups of # or # of Groups there are two additional options available under the group options heading:
- Auto-Enrol New Users: Selecting this option will automatically add new users to the group with the fewest users.
- Randomize Users in Groups: Selecting this option will enrol users in a random order.
If you are not creating workspaces for the groups at this moment, click Save. The category will be populated with groups based on the options you selected.
- Set up Discussion Areas: Creates a discussion area for each group.
- Set up Dropbox: Creates a dropbox for each group.